Monday, July 28, 2008

Soap Failure

Here is my orange soap out of the mold. We tried to cut it, but it kept flaking and was very crumbley. My good friend Lynne (who has been making soap for years) said we probably added to much lye. Which is probably what happened since we didnt' have a good scale and was measureing it incorrectly. So today I tried to rebatch it, but that didn't happen either.



I cut and crumbled my soap up and put it into my pot. Then I added some whole milk and put it in the oven on 150. I stirred it every 15 minutes. But after 4 hours it still was not completely melted so Shane said I should try the microwave method. Needless to say it got burned in there. Not sure if because the soap just sucked all around or if maybe because I did half in the oven and half in the microwave. Anyways, when I was filling up my pot with water to wash it, it filled up nice and high with bubbles from the left over soap in the pot. I cleaned the pot completley with that soap and it washed up really good. It left my hands feeling soft and the tangerine smelled really good. Off to try my next batch...




3 thoughts...:

Karina said...

well I hope your next round is better! at least you tried!

Christi said...

awww Im sorry the rebatching didnt work :( Im sure your next batch will be awesome :)

Gloria said...

:( that stinks...i'm sorry...